3 Cheese Pizza Topped with Lemon Arugula
Happy one month birthday to the blog! We have officially survived 1/12 of the one-year-food-blog experiment. A few takeaways from the first month:
- Food photography (or probably any photography) is really hard, and I’m now so much more impressed with all the food blogs I read that have crystal clear photos with perfect natural lighting. Is it never cloudy where they live?!
- Recipe testing means ending up with a lot of leftover food. This can be good or bad depending on how well the first attempts turn out.
- The best part so far is being forced to improve recipes that I’m not happy with the first time around. Case in point: today’s pizza recipe. I’ve never had much luck making pizza to my liking at home, and I was seriously so excited when after several tries this pizza recipe turned out really well! It’s fun to add a successful and tested recipe to my arsenal of go-to meals.
This 3 cheese pizza topped with lemon arugula is so easy and delicious! I actually made it for lunch one day last week and was eating it within 30 minutes of starting the recipe, including the time it took to make the dough. I like to use homemade dough and I am also impatient, so this basic whole wheat pizza dough recipe from Cookie and Kate (one of my favorite blogs to read) is perfect. It’s ready in under 10 minutes and makes enough for 2 pizzas. It doesn’t even need time to rise. That being said, if you’re not into making the dough at home or just don’t have the time then you could buy pre-made pizza dough from the grocery store or even a local pizza shop.
- 1/2 batch of homemade pizza dough (see post above for link) or premade pizza dough
- Approximately 4 oz ricotta cheese
- Approximately 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Black pepper
- 2 cups of arugula
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Roll out dough into desired pizza shape (I like rectangular). Dough should be very thin, about 1/8 inch. Place dough onto baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Use a fork to prod holes all over your pizza dough.
- Brush pizza dough with olive oil and sprinkle minced garlic evenly over the dough.
- Add teaspoon size dollops of rictotta and mozzarella cheese evenly over the dough. See photo of pre-baked pizza in post for more guidance on spacing and amount of cheese. Then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Add halved tomatoes and then sprinkle pizza with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper
- Place in top rack of oven and bake for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Meanwhile, mix arugula with fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once pizza is done baking, top with dressed arugula and enjoy!