Dark Chocolate Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies
I hope everyone had a happy Mother’s Day weekend! Mine was very food-centric…we went through several of these dark chocolate pistachio oatmeal cookies, a few ice cream stops, and just a lot of delicious food in general! Even though my human baby isn’t born yet, our 2 fur children have been a handful themselves recently. Anyone who’s been to our house knows that thanks to a rough puppyhood, their philosophy on house visitors is to 1) assume all visitors are murderers and 2) bark incessantly at those probable murderers the entire time they dare to stay at our house. After a string of recent visitors we decided it’s finally time to invest in some professional training, so this week has been all about showing these dogs who’s in charge (we are, right?)! Probably good practice for parenting! You can see what a rough life they live.
But back to the recipe…I know everyone has a favorite style of cookie, and these dark chocolate pistachio oatmeal cookies embody everything I love in a cookie: crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, chunky, chocolatey, salty…and the list goes on… I don’t think I can call them “healthy” in good conscience, but it’s safe to say they are healthier (and more delicious, in my opinion) than most store-bought or pre-made varieties. By replacing half the butter with greek yogurt and half the sugar with maple syrup they at least contain some healthier alternatives, and the oats and whole wheat pastry flour add some wholesome nutrition that actually make these cookies filling.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15-18 mins
Yields: 16-20 cookies
- 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (1/2 a stick)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- heaping 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- heaping 1/2 cup salted pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- Whisk together softened butter and brown sugar.
- Whisk maple syrup, greek yogurt, and egg into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pistachios.
- Spoon cookie dough onto baking sheet in about 1 tbsp lumps.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until tops turn golden brown. The tops may not completely set but don't worry, they will set and get crispy as they cool.
- Transfer to cooling rack or plate and let cool for at least 5 minutes.