Gorgonzola Wild Rice with Apples and Walnuts
Every few weeks a few friends and I do a girls’ dinner where we take turns cooking for each other. Somehow we’ve managed to keep it up for a few years now, and it has proven a great way to make sure we see each other regularly through life’s busy schedules, children, etc. A few weeks ago one of them made a side with wild rice, and it made me realize how little I vary the grains I use when I cook. i.e. I always use quinoa. Wild rice is delicious and hearty and people should make it more often! And so I decided to make a recipe using wild rice.
For this gorgonzola wild rice recipe I actually used a blend of wild rice and brown rice. Although it would work just fine with wild rice alone, using the blend helps improve the texture, as wild rice on its own can sometimes be a little hard and chewy.
I love the combination of flavors in this recipe. Gorgonzola, apples, and walnuts go so well together, and the added crunch from the walnuts and veggies is a nice contrast to the rice. The whole thing is combined with a very basic lemon vinaigrette to amplify the overall flavor of the dish.
This gorgonzola wild rice will definitely be entered into our regular recipe rotation. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 cup of uncooked wild rice/brown rice blend
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (about 1/4 medium red onion)
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare rice as directed on package. For me, that was: Add 1 cup of rice and 1 3/4 cup of water to medium pan and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- When the rice has about 10 minutes left to cook, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until onion becomes tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add asparagus to skillet. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add apple and cook for 1 additional minute. Turn off heat.
- When rice the rice is ready, pour dressing over rice and stir to combine.
- Then stir skillet mixture into the rice along with walnuts and gorgonzola crumbles.
Nutrition (for entire recipe):
Protein: 37.5 grams
Sugar: 21 grams
Fat: 67 grams