Lemon Raspberry Pancakes
After a week traveling between San Francisco, Monterey, and Big Sur, we are back home in Austin! The California coast line is absolutely beautiful, but of course it’s always good to be home. I actually teared up when I dropped the dogs off to be boarded so you can imagine how excited I was to see them all when we got back. Here are a few of my favorite pics from the trip:
It’s always hard to go back to work after a vacation, so these fluffy lemon raspberry pancakes were my weekend pick-me-up. California vacation + pancakes…rough life, I know. When I was little we used to have pancakes with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and chocolate syrup. I love the idea of adding lemon juice to pancakes because it adds a nice brightness of flavor to a heavy food, so I’ve made my own version of lemon pancakes with fresh raspberries mixed in.
These lemon raspberry pancakes are naturally sweetened with honey and contain a little added nutrition thanks to the whole wheat pastry flour (you could use all purpose flour if that’s all you have). I’ve included the basic nutrition info at the bottom of the recipe for those who are interested.
The batter will be pretty thick but makes amazingly fluffy pancakes! Here are a few tips for maximum fluffiness when making your own:
- Don’t over mix the batter. Only mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined – lumps are ok!
- Grease your pan well and evenly to avoid burning – I find that using a paper towel to wipe oil evenly over the pan works very well.
- Don’t flip too quickly! Wait until large bubbles form on the top side of the pancake before flipping, and only flip once.
Finish off your pancakes with any topping(s) of choice – powdered sugar, fresh raspberries, maple syrup etc – and enjoy!
One last thing – email subscription is ready! To receive new recipes by email, sign up in the side bar on the right side of the page.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix well. Then stir in raspberries.
- In separate bowl, stir together milk and lemon juice. Let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg, oil, honey, and lemon zest to wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir only until just combined. It's ok to have a lumpy batter!
- Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook on medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown.
Topping ideas: powdered sugar, maple syrup, honey, fresh raspberries, fresh squeeze of lemon, chocolate sauce
Total Recipe: 1028 calories, 40 grams of fat, 47 grams sugar, 25 grams protein
Per Pancake (6 pancakes): 171 calories, 5.75 grams of fat, 7.5 grams of sugar, 4 grams of protein
If you're trying to cut fat, try substituting the oil with unsweetened applesauce.