Orange Cranberry Muffins with Zucchini
I pretty much wake up starving every morning. I wish I could blame that on the baby growing inside me, but it’s been the case since well before that.
I’ve been in a breakfast muffin kick over the past month or so. Muffins are filling, sweet, and just satisfyingly carb-y. I could eat them at any time of the day, but it’s been for breakfast with coffee lately.
We had a pretty hectic weekend that included 3 trips to Home Depot and patching a 4 inch square hole in the wall…hooray. So it was a great victory to have these healthy orange cranberry muffins turn out just how I was hoping. I tested a few variations on the ingredients, but ultimately this recipe was my favorite combination when taking into account taste, nutrition, and simplicity.
If you’re going to eat a muffin (or 3) for breakfast, they might as well be good for you. Sweetened with maple syrup, these orange cranberry muffins contain whole wheat flour, greek yogurt, orange juice, and an entire zucchini, covering just about every food group. And they still taste good!
In other big blog news this week, I have joined Instagram (@sweeter_with_honey) and Facebook (Sweeter with Honey)! I’ll be posting pictures throughout the week of my recipes and probably of my dogs, too (just being honest). I’m also working to set up an email subscription so anyone that wants to can get new recipes emailed directly instead of needing to check the blog for updates.
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or craisins, raisins, etc)
- 1 cup grated zucchini (between 1 and 2 medium zucchinis) - peel before grating for less noticeable incorporation
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk of choice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (if you don't have greek yogurt, just substitute 1/4 cup more milk)
- zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, salt) and mix well. Stir in dried cranberries.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the maple syrup and eggs. Then mix in the milk, orange juice, yogurt, and orange zest.
- Stir grated zucchini into wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups and bake for 15 - 17 minutes.